Friday, January 27, 2006

She cannot stand

We take too many things for granted...
We have so much to be thankful for...
The people who need certain things the most, don't seem to have those...
There is a clinic that offers free treatment for ailments, in the building where I work. Everyday I see some poor, sick people who come there, with their hearts filled with hope.
Its very sad to see that not only are they poor but also not physically fit, and worse still that they might never get well but they are still hopeful. Shattered dreams might end up being the only thing they get in the end. Anyway this clinic is on the 1st floor and these people cannot use the lift. They have to walk up. Which would be alright except that they cannot walk up. Not with ease atleast. Many of these patients are old...
Today there was this lady sitting on a chair inside the premises, when I walked in (which is not allowed. They can sit outside the building if they like but not inside). And I heard this man (staying in the building most probably) asking the watchman, why the lady was sitting there. And the watchman said 'woh khade nahi re sakti' (she cant stand). I just happened to look her way and she looked soooo weak. Not physically very thin or anything, but as if there were no life in her. As if she were dead and just propped onto the chair. It was horrible. Sometimes I wish I could just scream....

2 comments:

Ketan said...

Yes, all this is sad. And it might seem cold hearted of me to say so, but I've thought a lot and the cause for so much suffering throughout the world is overpopulation. No, I'm not implying that those who're poor should be eliminated or any such radical thing. Just that if population would've been less, the very same repurces would've got distributed among much fewer people, and though, there could be economic inequality, absolute poverty would've been absent.

And no, I didn't miss the cold-heartedness of the resident of that building, just that in my experience, some way or the other, such people are the norm, rather than the exception. People very easily forget that they didn't do anything particularly admirable to be born in well off families or those with comfortable income, and nor those born into poor families did anything wrong, but were plain unlucky, who never got the same opportunities for education, employment, etc.

To preserve my sanity I've had to become apathetic to such things. People consider apathy as a case of lazy conscience, but honestly, I consider it an adaptation in my process of personal evolution.

Nice post!

Deepali said...

Well over population is a BIG problem and I do understand what you are saying about the distribution amongst poor also the resources would not be so scarce too and those might also get distributed between fewer and therefore more people would be more well off then they are.

Absolute poverty being absent I guess is debatable.


When you are in a moment you are reacting a certain way and when you are out of it, you are reacting thinking acting analyzing different. Looking back on the incident, I think the person living in the building did the most natural thing - he asked why a rule was being broken. He obviously in hindsight was an evil sadistic person because he neither told the watchmen to get her out of there or yelled that them that this is not suppose to happen and therefore in the future if it does, they'd be in trouble etc. He got his reason and moved on.

Well it us unfortunate that some people have more than they can dream of and some people have less than they can live on but such is the way things are.