Thursday, February 07, 2008

Another city...

Mumbai seems like a whole different city this winter. Every 2 out of 3 persons is wrapped up in a shawl, muffler, sweater, jacket, etc.

It's a little strange cause I never remember Mumbaites walking around like that :)

Of course it hasn't been so cold in decades.

Anyway I do hate the cold no matter what but getting home today, I couldn't help but smile cause the experience was so different.

Also as the train pulled in, I noticed that all windows in nearly all compartments were shut - again something very unusual. Of course it was a sight for sore eye :)

I finally own a sweater. The only sweater I had before was a school uniform sweater. I guess this new one I will be using tomorrow cause I don't want to come back home like I did today - thinking that my fingers and toes are going to fall of and my nose is going to turn to ice.

I feel bad for those people who can't get home and shut all the doors and windows and wrap themselves up in blankets. Living on the streets is one of the most terrible things in the world. If I prayed, I would have prayed for those living on the streets. I finally understand how people die in cold waves (and heat waves for that matter). It's really sad...

9 comments:

ceedy said...

yeah, i heard that its cold.......

i have never expereienced this kind of weather in bombay when i was there and can really understand the plight of people on the streets etc...

global warming or cooling :(

btw can you photoblog this changes that you mentioned - wld love to see pics of ppl in warm clothes - the train windows....

thanx

Deepali said...

:) I actually thought of taking a picture of some of the people I was passing but the rick was moving too fast + it's already dark so no pics :( will keep it in mind though - it's a good idea.

Cosmic Joy said...

Now where was this weather when I needed it most?? Oh well .. we dont always get what we want .. but we surely complain about what we get :)

But I certainly emphatize with the homeless people who have to suffer such severe weather conditions. On my recent visit there, I noticed how many of huts that had been built next to the railway line had been demolised and the people who used to live there had been evicted, since they were encroaching. I am sure the law was being followed, but made me wonder what happened to these people and how were they managing ..

Deepali said...

I am all for removing slums but there must be proper rehabilitation programs. We unfortunately do nothing and slums just crop back up again.

Solitaire said...

Its that cold huh???

Solitaire said...

Hey! I saw your comment for me in Preethi's blog. I thought it would be better for me to respond here since she is close-minded about the whole concept.

To analyse and interpret from a drawing is known as a projective technique. According to Freud, people have a lot of unconscious motives that they are not able to verbalize but can do so through drawings unknowingly. That is the premise of this analysis.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately) I have not been trained to do this and do not really use Freud's theory in practice. All I know is some basics. But if you would like to know more about these techniques, let me know!!

Deepali said...

It was 9.4 degree 2 days ago. Now that isn't THAT cold but this is bbay yaar.

I think graphology is based on the same principle.

What psychology do you study btw?

Solitaire said...

9.4 for mumbai is terrible!!!
I am studying clinical psychology. And I work with the college population.
I have a little more knowledge than "little knowledge".
Been in this field for more than a decade.

Deepali said...

Wow a decade is not bad at all. Clinical would mean studying mental aliments or am I going into too much of an extreme?

9.4 anywhere is pretty terrible. Problem of 9.4 in Mumbai though is that we are NOT PREPARED for it. I mean the only place you will really have heaters is in your car.