Friday, September 26, 2008

Floppy Disks...

Oh man - had to use a floppy disk today after agesssss. I felt like I was in the dark ages or something.

Sis needed to take some documents to work. She usually burns them on her rewritable CD but today some problem happened either in the burning or the reading of the CD. So I tell her take it on a pen drive. She starts cribbing about how the PC in the office at the school is in some holder where it will be difficult to connect to the USB port since the PC is an older version and the ports are at the back of the PC.

So finally she's like forget it. I have it on the CD if it read it then fine, if it can't then I can't help it. Else I will ask them to move the PC if it is urgent.

And that's when the idea struck me and I said why don't you take the docs on a Floppy. She rolled her eyes and ask where would she find a floppy disk. And I told her where my old bunch were kept and after a little searching we actually found them .

Oh my god it was crazy to push the disk into the slot. I mean I haven't used a floppy in like forever.

Haha When I was in college I was doing research on serial killers (that whole police drama, forensics is so cool, phase) and I found one floppy full of articles I had stored back then.

Crazy I tell you. The good thing is that I found a bunch of my writing assignments that I had done. Not that they mean anything today but those were interesting times and I loved some of the work I did for some of those assignments (even though they were nothing difficult or big).

What stood out the most about the floppy though was the size of storage - 1 MB. Talk about progress.

6 comments:

Solitaire said...

I don't mind using floppy disks at all. I still live in the stone age I guess.

Deepali said...

Haha really? I just googled it and realized that there can be floppy disk formats which can store more than 200 MB. I never knew. The only ones I owned were the 1.44 MB ones.

I don't know yaar after pen drives have been so cheap and easily available, I haven't seen a floppy disk anywhere.

The thing I always hated but floppy disks though is sometimes they wouldn't come out of the slot or whatever it is called. It use to be frustrating. Then we would go find tweezers to pull it out

Cosmic Joy said...

Times change .. things progress .. and technology progresses even faster ..

Going off on a tangent, do you think it's easy to take a CD out from a PC/Laptop when it is not powered on?

Deepali said...

:) very good point you make cosmic. I would think it was impossible to remove a CD from the ROM if the PC was off.

Cosmic Joy said...

Not as impossible as you would think :) All you got to do is stick a pointed needle into the tiny hole that sits next to the eject CD button.

Deepali said...

Oh wow never knew that. The obviously it is quite easy :P