Thursday, June 19, 2008

Valency Electrons - Balancing +

Got a small Chemistry lecture today. It was interesting. Couldn't help but think that most things we don't understand and therefore hate, come to be because we never understood the basics.

I never understood a valency or the reason for short forms or how the balancing worked in chemical formulas. I use to hate the practical stuff in chem mainly because I didn't understand the foundation of how it all works.

Pretty tragic.

I think it's the same case we Maths.

We desperately need good teachers in schools. Not just those who know their stuff but those who can figure out why other people would not understand that which is so simple to them.

Negative is when there is a need.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to comment here!!! I had some fair share of horrible teachers. But there were some really outstanding professors. I guess the fact is each professor/teacher has to offer something unique. Here are some famous quotes/sentences by my professors/movies which touched me, hope you will find them amusing.

- Professor Tatsuya Suda, University of California-Irvine: It is hard for me to remind myself that something that is common sense to me (him being a pundit in his field) may not be common sense to you.
- Babu Sir, Mahesh tutorials, 10th standard Mulund: How to train yourselves to read once and memorize. To start with everyone has this magic number "n" that you first have to read something that many times to remember/retain, Next time try it in "n-1". Each day that magic number changes/shrinks. And one day you settle down for your comfort level 5/4/7/2... in some cases 1.
- Jack Black in movie School of Rock: Those who cant do anything in life "TEACH", and those who cant teach teach gymn.

Enjoy!

Sachin.