Wednesday, December 19, 2007

It's idiotic and barbaric

Been meaning to write about this for a really long time but have been forgetting.

I think the 'justice system' in Saudi Arabia is totally f***** up. I mean what the hell, a woman gets raped and you want to punish her.

I don't even have words to say how stupid that is and how angry I am at things like this. I mean what about the trauma this woman already faces? You want to not only beat her but also humiliate and BLAME her for being in a car with unrelated men? Also if a woman feels she hasn't got justice why shouldn't she go to the media?


If a woman gets raped it's not her fault. "She was asking for it", it just the most messed up thing to say. I can still understand a woman wearing something that super short and/or very revealing or something and getting stared at (I don't think it is right but I can accept that it is bound to happen) but saying that this woman was asking for it, is just so damn ridiculous.

Also wtf is this whole - how can you go anywhere without a male companion? And also how f'ed up is it to then tell a woman she was wrong to do it, especially if something bad happens to her? You are suppose to punish the man who has harassed this woman.

Anyway I could go on and on. I just think it's the stupidest level we can get as humans. It's inhuman too.

I am badly trying not to start a rant on "honour killing". Shit even the term leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Human beings are just f***** up.

4 comments:

Cosmic Joy said...

Your feelings and anger are completely justified.

I too have been following this story and was almost tempted to blog about it.

Saudi laws are completely biased towards men and women are treated very unfairly.

But to stick to the facts of this case, I think what the judges did was apply the laws of the land. It is a crime in Saudi Arabia for a woman to be in the company of a man not related to her. And she got her share of the punishment for that reason. I am not justifying the law or saying it makes sense. But it is a law nonetheless. As for the rapists, the seven culprits who were involved got various sentences that went up to nine years in prison.

And just a couple of days back, the king of Saudi Arabia issued a pardon to the woman after intense international and media pressure.

What is needed here is a complete revamp of the laws .. but that is easier said than done .. hopefully we will see a shift in Saudi laws for the better given the right international pressure.

Anonymous said...

It has to do with the belief in some cultures that a family's honor resides in its girls and its women. So if anything threatens to blemish it, the females are held to account. Not that I agree with this thinking. Far from it.

Ellen R. Sheeley, Author
"Reclaiming Honor in Jordan"

Unknown said...

I know we have argued about this so many times. I have heard bloody chauvinist guyz make such statements.

Its the woman's fault, they shouldn't be wearing revealing clothes but that doesn't give anyone the right to take advantage of it.

Forget about women getting raped what about small kids getting raped when they won't even know what's happening to them.

People who commit such crimes should be punished in such a way they will never turn and look at a woman again ever.

Vinesh said...

i empathize with your anger.
some nations and societies have "laws" that are beyond my comprehension.