Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Are you going to be flying kites today?...

I so badly want to learn how to fly a kite.

As a kid we use to at least try now not even that. I guess as you grow older you end up being more self-conscious about things you can't do and are scared to attempt them because you worry everyone will either know you are silly or that you fail at simple things that they mastered when they were kids.

Anyway the last 3 years on Jan 14th I have been at work (or it has been a weekend and I wouldn't want to travel) so it was difficult to go and find someone who was flying kites and ask them to teach me. This year I asked a sisters friend. He said okay but it seems he is going to be stuck in a meeting :(

I don't have to fly a kite on Jan 14th so if today it doesn't work out, I am going to try Friday or Sunday (Saturday I have class and a movie).

Let's hope 2009 is my year for kite flying.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, give it a go - the fighters might be a bit tricky since they are unstable when the line is slack, but try a stable diamond with a tail. Easy peasy! If you want to try making your own kite, it's pretty easy too. My 1-skewer sleds and diamonds are pretty fool-proof and quick to make. Mind you, I can't imagine how cheap it must be to buy a decent tissue-and-bamboo kite in India!

bhargav said...

nice one. feeling sad about you. but believe me i'm kite addict but as i've joined my new (and first)job, and working in shifts, won't get time for kite-flying.

yeah, i wish your 2009 shall remain high in the sky.

ciao.

Deepali said...

@ Tim - they are quite cheap :)
I haven't bought one in years but I doubt it would be too expensive.

@ c'est la vie - :) couldn't manage it yesterday but the same friend is going to teach me on Sunday. Good luck with the job. It's always exciting in the start and then starts getting boring hehe

Tall Guy said...

Wish, I could be a child again.

Though I don't know how to fly kites, I enjoyed it a lot almost like a festive occasion.

GOOD OLD DAYS :))

Deepali said...

@ Tim - a tissue and bamboo kite costs Rs.3 :) which is pretty cheap.