Sunday, August 02, 2009

Why is everyone wanting to be a Search Engine?...

Well first the Rediff re-design of the home page (idiotic move I think cause they are a PORTAL) and then Twitter redesign.

I mean the Rediff redesign is also illogical from the revenue point of view I would think. They will never surpass Google in India (unless Google messes up big time) and I refuse to believe they will make more money via search than they do with display advertising. Maybe they wanted to de-clutter because decluttering is the 'in thing'. But I still think it wasn't wise.

In case of Twitter moving more towards search makes a lot of sense cause for most recent updates about an event (especially limited to a smaller location geographically) Twitter gives the best results because real people who are in or around the event are telling you what is happening but I don't see how it might help them increase more users being more active (in terms of posting more).
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

Tall Guy said...

Rediff has a search engine, was not aware of that. Its best used as a portal, somehow I don't think it making any penetration in earning more revenues.

As for Twitter, its still has to come up with a way to make profits :)

BTW Dell did manage to do that with the help of twitter

Deepali said...

Last year Rediff was ranked the 5th most used search engine in India. But they were the number 1 local portal. But in India I think most users don't even see the search bars on Yahoo MSN or any other portal. They just go to Google.

Hehe I am very keen to know how Twitter is going to generate revenues.

I did hear about Dell but still haven't read the case study - I should check it out - maybe I'll do that tomorrow.