Monday, May 05, 2008

Ever heard 'Gangsta's Paradise'?

They say I gotta learn, but nobody's here to teach me
If they can't understand it, how can they reach me?

I was just thinking how important it is to understand something before you can teach it because if you can't understand how can you really explain? How can you answer questions? How can you anticipate doubts? How can you be sure that others have understood?

So I just remembered these lines from the song (maybe I misunderstood the song lines but maybe I didn't). Liked the song even as a school kid when I neither understood the what Coolio was singing and even if I understood what he was saying, I doubt I would understand the song cause I didn't know what words like homies and hood and all meant. I guess it was the music. The other lines that I always remember are - I'm 23 now but will I live to see 24, the way things are going I don't know.

It's funny how you can learn from anything, anywhere. Just need to keep your eyes and ears open I guess.

1 comment:

Solitaire said...

If I were to take this post literally, I would say I have taught several undergraduate classes and everytime, I teach them, I seem to learn something more from them.