Sunday, February 08, 2009

The super power of poking eyes out.

I was in a train some weeks ago (this post is long over due) and a train just came into the next platform and the announcer mentioned that this was a 'Ladies Special' train to Borivali (or some other place I don't remember). And there are these 2 girls. They looked like college kids so I am assuming that they wouldn't be over 17-18 years of age. One looks to the other and says (with disdain) 'Ladies Special? I didn't even know they have such trains. As if a ladies compartment wasn't bad enough'. Her other friend had the same kind of scorn on her face.

I felt like going up to them both and shaking them. I was thinking 'wow how retarded could these girls be? If she is so keep to maybe travel all the way home with some stupid crush she has, she can just get into the general compartment. Why is she even bothering with the ladies compartment? So silly. So naive'. And in that moment my anger and shock turned to happiness for those girls. The only reason the girl who made the statement, would make such a statement would be if she had never been a victim of harassment. I couldn't believe I was in front of a 16 year old who hadn't faced hearing lewd comments, having men brush past on purpose, being followed (stalked), being stared etc etc. I mean it was the only logical explanation. This girl was either one very lucky girl or very oblivious to what happened around her.

I remember getting of the train thinking how I wished that she could always make a face of disgust at the thought of a Ladies Special Train.

I don't know any woman who hasn't face some sort of harassment because of her gender. It is very jarring when men just stare, or make comments, or brush past etc. What is more torturous is when women can't do anything when such instances happen. I love women who slap a guy in the middle of anywhere rather than freeze in shock and watch some ass**** walk away.

I remember being at a station with these 2 friends of mine and the female friend says 'oh man that guy is following me' and she goes on to explain how she saw him the day before at the station and that morning. He even tried to talk to her but she just walked away. And there he was just waiting on the platform. We saw a bunch of trains pass by but he didn't get on. Our male friend couldn't believe that the guy was waiting for this friend to get to that side of the platform so that either he could approach her again or get onto the train she got onto. And he was more shocked when she said that she once had a guy follow her from the station right up to her building. Both of them already knew my scare story (which I am not going to share here :)) and I decided to do a little survey. The next day 4 out of 5 of my friends told me that they had been stalked (well at least followed) at some point of time.Not only is it uncomfortable but it is VERY scary. I don't get why some men think they have the right to do anything they like.


The post title because -
Whenever I used to get asked what sort of super power would you want, as a kid I would give various answers. When I grew up though I thought the question was stupid and wouldn't bother even thinking forget answering. Till one day it struck me that if I could have a super power, it would be to poke the eyes out of the people I wanted.

There are just too many people out there to just stare. I hate it. I think most women would hate it. [I honestly don't understand how women change their outlook if the guy staring at them is good looking. I mean WTF. Staring is staring. How can you be happy about it?]. And whenever I get stared at or women/girls around me get stared, I wish I could just poke the ass***** eyes out. 'You can't help but stare? Here let me help you. *Poof eyes gone*. There you want have the problem or not being able to look away anymore'.


Anyway I could go on and on. Post didn't come out the way I wanted but doesn't matter. Just thinking about the injustice women face on a daily basis tires me.



P.S. - I do wish I had some super powers....If anyone is in a position to give, I am ready to take :)

1 comment:

Tall Guy said...

I completely agree with you.

Times are real bad for a girl to venture out alone. Guys who do that don't know where the limit is.

Guess they won't understand it until it happens someone close to them, but then you wont wish them to go through the same ordeal so that some moron could be made to realize of his actions.