Friday, September 19, 2008

Tremor Terror...

At around 3:17 am on Wednesday a 4.8 earthquake hit Sangli in Western Maharashtra. It was of mild intensity but apparently lasted for 30 seconds and was also felt in Mumbai.

Why I am providing stale news is because I felt this quake and it was NOT FUN. I actually jumped out of bed. Total adrenaline rush. I was telling my sis (who also woke up) to get up and out of bed and she looked at me and said 'for what' and I was like 'Are you crazy get out of bed and let's head out' (run for the terrace was what I was thinking).

Now I love geological events but I think that love is only when I am watching National Geographic programs. I remember when I was quite young there was this quake that hit Latur and I was actually unhappy that I missed out on feeling a quake (I was a hugeeee deal back then because we didn't have quakes happening all over the place left right and center). And then on the 26th Jan when a quake hit Bhuj, I realize what a retard I was at wanting to feel a quake. It was scary. While I didn't quite react too much to it other than sitting up in bed (with my mom doing back then what I did this time and me doing back then what my sis did this time) but still the movement of the building was unnerving. It was something so alien.

After that quake we felt a few aftershocks and then I felt another very mild quake some time back.

And I DO NOT like the feeling.

Anyway Wednesday morning (after 3:17 am) was terrible. I firstly couldn't fall back asleep. I think I got too much of a rush - the whole fight / flight thing. And then I slept horribly when I did fall asleep.

I know now (through another lesson) you should be careful what you wish for. I didn't when I was that stupid kid sitting upset in bed, woken up by her parents, in case everyone had to make a run for it, and pouting about missing a major event. I take back my wishes of wanted to FEEL a quake. I think I have felt one too many for my liking.

I don't think it's the fear of the building falling down or me being buried under rubble or anything that rattles me. I haven't even gone that far in through. It's just the idea of a structure shaking the way it does in a quake. You know it is JUST NOT RIGHT.

Anyway nature will be nature. And I do desperately hope that these quakes are no man made (this was was quite close to Koyna Dam where a quake had hit a month ago or something).

Anyway rant, vent, whatever over. I should try and get some sleep.

1 comment:

Tall Guy said...

Even I too felt the quake.

The only thing that did not hit me that it was one.

I realize that after it was in the news!!