Saturday, November 29, 2008

Why politicians will never fight terrorism seriously

I remember Asfaq writing a tweet about fire again at the Taj and I replied to him saying 'A lot of people in this city would cry, if major damages happen to the Taj'. After about 30 seconds I realized that it was such a terrible thing to say because here were more than a hundred people dead and I would be crying about destruction of a building? What sort of a low-life am I? And then thankfully it struck me that the destruction of the Taj would have been a PERSONAL LOSS. I didn't know anyone who died in the attacks. I didn't know anyone who was injured. So the sympathy I feel is sympathy. It's a sadness that is distant and generic. About the state of affairs. About what happens in this city. About the insanity the world is facing.

But if something happened to the Taj structure, the sadness I would have felt would be because of personal loss. Lots of memories are linked to that hotel. Most of them when I was younger. It was a place I use to be at. It was a place I ate it. It was a place I would laugh with my family. It was a place where I use to drink cold coffee. Attended wedding functions in its halls. Ran around the corridors if none of the adults were looking. Sat in the lobby feeling so great of being in a 5 star hotel. If something happened to it, Mumbai just wouldn't seem the same. It IS a landmark of this city. It represents history and it represents progress.


This thought got me to the answer of why politicians will never fight terrorism seriously. It's not personal to them. They don't feel the loss. They don't feel the loss of the people who die. They don't feel the loss of the damage to property. They don't even personally get affected by the loss to the economy or the image of the country/city.

We all know that very few of our politicians have this dying love for our country. They have love for power, they have love for publicity etc. An attack on average citizens doesn't affect them. They just make big talks and show fake sympathies and declare big compensations because they want to stay in power or want to get in power. I would love to see what would happen if a lot of politicians and their families faced losses because of terrorist attacks. I am sure they will change lows and I am sure they will make a bigger noise. I am sure they will come down hard on terrorist outfits inside the country and will also come down hard on those outside the country.

I also don't believe that normal average individuals who do face losses in such attacks can really make a difference because they don't have resources. Yes it is all nice to say and hear things like we just need the will. That there needs to be determination and we will achieve what we want. Sorry I don't believe it is doable. You NEED MORE than just the will to make a difference. Even groups of individuals that want to join and help the cause will fall short is what I feel. Unless of course you have so many of these individuals that those who don't want to make a difference become a very small minority.

The government needs to wake up. We need to wake up.

To Be Continued...

No comments: